Saturday, May 1, 2010

Loving unconditionally

Lately I've had a lot of thoughts on unconditional love. You know... loving without conditions. :)

Why is it that this can, at times, feel like a risk? Logically we know it's what we should do, yet we feel vulnerable in doing so. Perhaps it's because we're attempting to love unconditionally, but we're actually loving with the hope that it will produce change, holding secret expectations that our love will somehow alter our "target." If we're loving with the hope of changing someone then we ARE taking a risk - we ARE vulnerable, because the odds of that person changing our against us. Our investment will likely go sour.

Loving unconditionally, however, isn't putting your investment in another - it's investing in yourself. YOU reap the benefits of peace, YOUR heart is softened, and YOU get to see your enemy (or child, or friend, or co-worker, etc.) through God's eyes, squelching any festering anger or resentment.

I'm starting to realize that we we're not commanded to have charity (the pure love of Christ) for the sake of others, but for the sake of ourselves. Like forgiveness, loving unconditionally is a gift we give ourselves. Isn't that the case with every commandment? They are all for our benefit and happiness.

Putting down our pride and trying to love past the inflicted pain or broken trust is never easy. I know I feel myself hesitating, as I think, "But he doesn't deserve my love." And you know what... he doesn't! But I deserve to give it. I deserve to heal. I deserve to be happy. I deserve to experience peace, amongst the turmoil.

Matthew 5:44. But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

... not for THEIR sake - but for yours. (I hope I can do a better job of living this)!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is just what I needed to hear today! THANK YOU!