Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sabbath: A Day of Rest

The Sabbath is a day of rest and worship, which we should set aside to honor and keep holy. Blah blah blah.... Let's be honest, the word "honor" is not always the word that comes to mind. Irritation, hindrance and detention might sound a bit more familiar. (Hahaha. Detention. I like that.) Don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of Sabbath days where I'm overcome with gratitude and wish the day would never end, but I'll admit - I've also had days where I simply feel restricted and slightly annoyed.

Recently, as I was pondering the Creation, the significance of the Sabbath took on new meaning. In referring to the creation, Joseph Fielding Smith said, "Adam helped to form the earth. He labored with our Saviour Jesus Christ." (Doctrines of Salvation, 1:75.) Naturally God would have presided over it, instructing them what to do on a daily basis. For "six days" they worked tirelessly, pressing forward in obedience and quite possibly unaware of what would be asked of them the next day. How delightful it must have been to witness all of the "pieces of the puzzle" fitting together. The Lord had a plan, and the result was glorious and beautiful. Only after they (even Christ) received line upon line and endured to the end did they obtain a day of rest.

Likewise, only after we have completed our work, pressing forward one day at a time in faith and obedience, may we obtain our day of rest. As I attend church each Sabbath day I can reflect on the last six days and evaluate where I'm at in my journey, then make the necessary adjustments to improve on the coming week. I long for the day that I can "cease from my works" and enter into the rest of the Lord.

The Sabbath is not a day of restriction, it is a day of reward.

No comments: